Your True Nature recently participated in an Earth Campaign led by 1 Percent for the Planet. If you aren’t familiar with them, I encourage you to check out the amazing things they are doing to bring about positive change for our planet. Part of the campaign was to celebrate Earth Month, while bringing awareness to the changes that need to happen to protect our environment. By highlighting certain issues, it reminded us that our actions matter; whether positive or negative. Also, that we are all in this together and can help Nature do a 360 toward a better future.
Some highlights of the campaign were:
- More than 32 million acres of forest are being lost every year
- Why it matters: Forests are critical to our planet’s sustainability and the people who rely on them. They release the oxygen we need to live and they absorb the carbon dioxide emitted into the atmosphere. Forests also help lift 1 in 11 people out of extreme poverty by providing income, fuel, and food.
- How we help at Your True Nature (YTN): We are 100% Replanted and have planted over 100,000 trees to counter balance our use of materials. We also make it easy for customers to plant trees via our website. Currently the trees we plant help reforest places in Central America; thereby helping the people who rely on them for survival.
- Each year 30 billion tons of urban sewage is discharged into our waters
- Why it matters: Humans have created the majority of our water issues and therefore are responsible for fixing them. Safe and clean water is essential to our health, our economy, and our environment; in order to have a sustainable future for years to come.
- How we help at YTN: Your True Nature supports The River Network by giving 10% of sales from our Advice from a River products to their efforts. The River Network works hard to create a future of clean and ample water for nature and people. We also have employees that support efforts in places like Africa to ensure clean water for villages.
- When water heats up, it expands and water levels rise. Our Sea Levels are rising at their fastest rate in 2,000 years.
- Why it matters: High temperature sea levels are killing certain species and greater than average temperatures are melting the glaciers. In the past few years we have seen more devastating storms and phenomenons that are completely destructive. It’s hard to ignore. Higher sea levels also force people in vulnerable communities to leave their homes and livelihood; increasing the rates of poverty. Fossil fuels and pollution are the effects of human consumption and use; and we have to learn to balance them with more environmentally friendly energy sources.
- What YTN does to help: Your True Nature is a part of a program called Climate Wise, which is a free, voluntary program that offers simple solutions to help businesses reduce their impact, save money, and gain recognition for their achievements in conservation, waste reduction, alternative transportation, and social responsibility. Your True Nature has worked hard, as an office, to achieve a platinum level. We recycle all that we can (our trash can has less in it than our recycling can); replant trees for the paper we use; give 10% back to organizations that are making an impact on our environment; use recycled toilet paper; refillable hand soaps; turn off lights in rooms that aren’t being used; and strive to find other ways to reduce our carbon footprint. We know that if everyone makes small changes, the impact will be a ripple effect of good. Our business was built on the mantra: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, Replant, and Regenerate.
- Plastic is creating devastating effects on our world. Each year 500 billion to 1 trillion plastic bags are used worldwide; and 1 million are being used every minute. On average, Americans use 500 million plastic straws daily and most end up in the ocean. Plastic is found in 90% of seabirds; and their population has declined 67% from 1950-2010. It is estimated that in 30 years the ocean will contain more weight in plastic than in fish. And those plastic straws? Well, they don’t break down and scientists have even found them stuck in Sea Turtle’s noses. Terrible, but important to remember that our waste has to go somewhere.
- Why this matters: Plastic is taking over our oceans and contributing to pollution that won’t magically go away. To put it bluntly, plastic disrupts our ecosystem. An estimated 100,000 marine animals suffocate each year from ingesting plastic in our our waters. Plastic also has a endocrine disrupting toxin called dioxin; which affects the health of all animals. When these animals die off, so do a lot of industries that rely on them; and you know the rest.
- What YTN does to help: We encourage all of our employees to use reusable grocery bags, recycle plastic, and in general try to avoid the use of plastic. Some of our employees use more eco-friendly products like bamboo toothbrushes; and biodegradable trash bags and doggy waste bags. We all strive to reduce our reliance of plastic products and encourage our customers to do the same.
It doesn't take giant leaps to impact our planet for the better. By making small changes here and there; you will positively change its course for you and future generations. It lies in your own ability and capacity for loving what you have been entrusted with: Earth. We are all in this together and together our combined ripples will make waves of good. We encourage you to influence those around you and be that person that is "crazy" about recycling, eco-friendly products, walking, and educating others on what you’ve learned. In the end, you'll realize it's not so crazy after all.